By Hon Moses K
I feel proudly represented by NASA lawyers at the Supreme Court. CJ David Maraga dropped a bombshell question that left Uhuru and IEBC lawyers dumbfounded, an important question with regards to access to IEBC servers. To paraphrase… “Aren’t there some security arrangements to ensure the petitioners access only what they are supposed to?” IEBC lawyers objected and brought up irrelevant issues to do with backup. Take note that:
1. A systems backup is a daily automated procedure. It is misleading for IEBC lawyers to assert that backup will run for many days before petitioners are allowed to access the servers.
2. Logical access control is the mechanism by which users are granted access to a system depending on their roles. It’s possible, as questioned by the CJ, to provide read only access to an information system without compromising the integrity of the database and programs.
3. IEBC through Paul Muite initially proposed that all parties be involved in scrutiny of forms and data as requested by Sen Orengo and under the guidance of the Registrar. Why is Uhuru so strongly opposed?
4. Scrutiny of original Forms 34A, 34B and logs of the KIEMS system is the core of the NASA petition. If you dismiss this prayer then you might as well throw out the entire case.
IT guru Daudi Chogoyo notes that the main issues here should narrow down to this:
1. IEBC oracle database servers, was the oracle audit vault (OAV) option installed. If it is, all this can be done within 6 hours. No one with something to hide will enable it though. Without it the logs are questionable and will need deeper analysis
2. If OAV not installed, once you have the logs, what next ? They will be bulky. You could use 3rd party log analysers. Or more likely replay them to see whether a trigger / stored procedure / external program played apart. Does NASA have such servers ready ? Its doable but not an easy task considering the workloads involved. Likely to be too big an exercise to be finished within the timelines.
3. You need Oracle experts to guide on this matter. The guy NASA paraded claiming the database was MS SQL 2008 R2, loose him fast. If he knew anything he would know the maximum setup for that is 2 sockets with 2 cores. Impossible to run even a constituency election.
4. How about just getting down and dirty to verify form 34As against the agents copies? One must prove the anomalies are grave and would change the winner.
Me thinks someone needs to be doing one hell of a reconciliation in the background by now. Then stick to this argument
Looking forward to tomorrow’s ruling on the issues raised today.
BTW… Who is Harrison Kinyanjui trying to impress by heckling in that hallowed court? I leave him in the capable hands of Millie Odhiambo and Opondo Kaluma.