Kakamega senator Cleophas Malala today got promoted to serve as the Deputy Leader of Minority following an election that saw Siaya senator James Orengo replace NASA Principal Moses Wetangula. Hon Malala is one of the youngest senators and is considered The Next Big Thing in Kenyan politics more so in NASA.
Hon Malala was elected on an ANC ticket but he works closely with ODM, he is considered an ANC rebel together with his Vihiga counterpart George Khaniri. Hon Malala is the beneficiary of the Wetangula ouster, he is among the top 5 young Luyha politicians loyal to SUPREME LEADER Raila Odinga and considered to be upsetting status quo in the region; the other four are Edwin Sifuna, Nelson Havi, Norman Magaya and George Khaniri.
His new position in the senate is entitled to among others the following privileges
1. Higher Salary than regular senators (his counterparts)
2. Higher Perks than his counterparts
3. Government fueled Vehicle (Prado/Passat)
4. PA (hired by him but to be paid by Parliamentary Service Commission)
5. Researcher (hired by him but to be paid by Parliamentary Service Commission)
6. Secretary (hired by him to be paid by Parliamentary Service Commission)
7. Driver (hired by him to be paid by Parliamentary Service Commission)
8. Bodyguard (an additional guard assigned by the government.
9. Plenary session perks/sitting allowance higher than his counterparts.
10. Assigned Parliamentary leadership office, free lunches, free fuel etc Diplomatic passport etc