By Dennis Itumbi via FB
President Kenyatta and the Corruption fight #TheFactsKE
1. Everyone being investigated has not just stepped aside but been asked to leave including Cabinet Secretaries.
2. Record number of high profile cases in Court
3. Asset Recovery in motion…for instance in
a) NYS case so far Assets, movable and immovable properties worth 421m either recovered/frozen/seized as proceeds of crime. 684m of unpaid taxes also assessed awaiting a ruling by Tax tribunal
b) Nairobi City Council Case – Assets worth 1.3b were frozen. 439m of unpaid taxes assessed
4. Increased resourses to fight graft
5. Formed Multi-Agency team made up of AG, DCI, DPP, KRA, Assets Recovery, EACC, NIS, OP, Financial Reporting Centre for better coordination, cooperation and collaboration among agencies.
6. Reshuffle of procurement officers across Government
7. Bilateral cooperation to obtain evidence and mutual assistance in tracking assets
8. Challenged and pushed KEPSA throught the Presidential Roundtable to come up with a Bribery Bill to check role of private sector
9. Establishment of a Specialized Prosecution unit to deal with corruption.
10. Establishment of a centralized Government Data Platform
11. Major Legal Reforms – Ethics and Anti Corruption Ammendment Act, 2016, Whistleblower Bill, 2016, Kenya Information Communication Act, Data Protection Act, Electronic Transactions Bill.
The business of prosecution and sentencing of suspects is not a Presidential role.
President Kenyatta has done all he can as per by law established and also invented a few interventions like in the formation of a Multi Agency platform to fight graft.
That informs the question that he posed, “what else can I do that I have not already done?”