Bomet Governor Isaac Rutto will fly to South Africa for further treatment on Tuesday night, following an alleged attack by a police officer on Sunday.
Rutto was flown from his county to Nairobi on Monday, with a facial injury that he said was caused by a policeman who threw a tear gas canister at him.
The right side of his face was swollen, his right eye was red and his nose bled. He was admitted at Nairobi Hospital.
Rutto’s communications director Kiprotich Samoei told the Star by phone today that his flight will leave at 8.35pm. Neither the Governor nor his doctor Robert Mathenge could be reached to confirm the travel arrangements.
Kiprotich said a scan done at Nairobi Hospital showed the Governor suffered an internal fracture and a broken nose. He is expected to undergo surgery and return in about a week.
Rutto said an officer threw the tear gas canister at him when he asked why some youths had been arrested.
He was attending a church service at Njerian AGC, Silibwet Township ward, when he received text messages of complaints by youths who were allegedly arrested.
More on this: Rutto rushed to Nairobi Hospital after scuffle with police
But Bomet county commissioner Bernard Leparmarai defended police saying they did not use excessive force on the youths, whom he said wanted to interrupt a match at Silibwet stadium.
Leparmarai also dismissed as fabricated, reports that officers injured Rutto during the fracas that erupted between two groups of supporters.
Cord leader Raila Odinga condemned the assault saying “a worrying agenda of hate and intolerance” is taking root.
“This (is the) government’s way of dealing with dissents and opponents, real or perceived,” Raila said on Monday.