It is not over yet, CID Police tell Governor Joho as they summon him to record a statement relating to ‘fake’ forgery claims.
Governor Joho on his official Facebook page has honered the summons and said he was confident he will be vindicated. The drama over Joho’s KCSE is linked to massive rally held at Mombasa’s Tononoka grounds where 6 counties of the coast region vowed to vote out Uhuru in the August polls.
Intimidation continues, today at 4:30pm I received a summon from Mr. Pius Macharia to appear at the Regional DCI Headquarters Mombasa and record a statement.
I have informed them in writing that due to confirmed prior commitments I will personally honor the summon on Wednesday the 29th of March at 10.30am. I know I will be vindicated once again and this will never deter me from pursuing the transformation agenda for my people.– Reads Governor’s post on Facebook
It is no secret that North Eastern and Coast regions have been the most neglected, the most ignored and its people subjected to State isolation by successive regimes…..as other regions rose up to the fruits of independence.
Emergence of Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho to political limelight has not only brought hope to the people of the defunct Coast Province, but to their neighbors too, North Eastern Region. Joho has proved steadfast in his resistance to the State’s excesses, something that has won him many hearts in this drought hit, Somali populated region.
Many here believe that it’s the likes of Joho who can bring to the limelight the almost forgotten atrocities like the infamous Wagalla Massacre. Across the country, he is loved and loathed in equal measures.
But why is the State so determined to silence Governor Joho? Which State institutions are being misused to try bring him down?
Here are some of the public entities being misused by the State to try bring down its most vocal critic. Governor Joho is being targeted for standing up against Jubilee’s excesses and for defending devolution.
1. Statehouse is fighting Joho through President Uhuru Kenyatta and his Deputy William Ruto. The duo has suddenly turned their political differences with the governor personal. The Head of State made this clear while on tour of Mombasa County three weeks ago. He dispatched the head of his protection unit to block the host Governor from attending a public function in his county, where the president was launching a 50 year old Ferry at Mtongwe.
2. Office of the President/Ministry of Interior via Nelson Marwa. The Interior ministry is accused of leading the witch hunt. Nelson Marwa, the coast regional coordinator has issued many illegal directives aimed at undermining Governor Joho.
3. Ministry of Education via Kenya National Examination Council is accused of being used to spread falsehoods on the authenticity of Governor Joho’s academic credentials.
4. The Police; mainly the CID, AP and GSU. It is the GSU officers guarding the Presidentthat were sent to block Joho from attending a public function at Mtongwe, it was the GSU and AP officers that were sent to disperse legally assembled political rallies at Kinango and Lunga Lunga in Kwale County.
6. Kenya Revenue Authority; this is the most abused organ in the fight against Joho. In 2015/16 KRA closed down Joho family business at the port of Mombasa.
7. The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission EACC
Never mind Governor Joho has survived some of these machinations. In 2012/2013 the state was all over branding Joho as a drug baron, well this came to pass after his extensive tour of the USA at the invitation of Department of Homeland Security and Department of State (equivalent of our Interior Ministry and also Foreign Affairs respectively).
Remember Joho university degree saga? Well, Kampala International University embarrassed the State further by confirming to the world that Joho’s degree is valid.
The State should cease from pursuing individuals, whatever their political discourse, and should instead prioritize in engaging the people of these two former provinces in matters development. This will win the State hearts and favors. But naïve targeting of Joho will only idolize him and further alienate the State.