Charity Ngilu, suspended lands minister, will face charges of hindering investigations in a fraudulent land scheme at her office.
Keriako Tobiko, director of public prosecutions, in a statement to the newsroom June 17, Wednesday, said although Ngilu was not directly involved in the fraud that was being investigated, she instructed her officers not to give documents or record statements.
She will therefore face charges of obstruction, as was recommended by the ethics and anti-corrpution commission.
â€œHaving reviewed the evidence, I am satisfied that the recommended charge is sustainable. I have therefore accepted EACCâ€™s recommendations that the CS be charged with the offence of obstruction,â€ Tobiko said.
Ngilu will now become the second minister in president Uhuru Kenyattaâ€™s government to face the judges after Michael Kamau, transport minister.
Last week, the court declined to stop prosecution of Kamau after he was charged with redesigning a road that ended up costing taxpayers more money.
His case will now be heard next month when Willy Mutunga, chief justice, composes a three-judge bench to try him.
The names of Ngilu and Kamau were among the 175 names in the so-called list of shame that was presented to Parliament by the president in March 2015.