Reliable sources inside IEBC has confirmed that the commission is finally a wake to reality that supreme court order is no joke to wished away by Statehouse operatives.
The commission is said now set to announce a new date that will maximize on the 60day period granted by Supreme court. The commission is considering 24th or 30th October 2017.
Sources also indicate its becoming clear to the individuals holding senior positions at the commission that they will be held to account once polls are over and that they cannot trust DP Ruto to offer them protection in the longrun. They know what become of former CEO Osiago who is facing multiple charges of corruption despite being but of the clique that helped Uhuru win 2013 presidential election.
“The commission seems ready to work with both Jubilee and Nasa to ensure a fair poll”- a source said
A leaked memo from the chair demanded a raft of explanations including why the chair’s password was allegedly used to access the results transmission system. Chebukati also wants to know why the satellite phones bought by the commission were not used to relay data from polling stations as it was supposed to be.
Chebukati’s memo which is dated September 5, details numerous failures by the secretariat that formed a key part of the Supreme Court proceedings. The chair also wants an explanation why the Kenya Integrated Elections Management System (KIEMS) kits used in the election were not locked to specific locations as it had been agreed.
The IEBC Chair also raised questions why some forms used in the election did not have security features as agreed between IEBC and the printer.
The memo comes in the wake of sharp divisions in the commission following Chebukati move to sideline key people in the secretariat in a new election project team.
Here are the 9 questions that Chiloba was to answer to Chairman Wafula Chebukati:
1. Why Paul Mugo and Boniface Wamae logged into the system using Chebukati credentials 9,000 times as approved by Muhati under the consent and knowledge of Chiloba.
2. Under whose instructions were form 34Bs from 10,000 polling stations deleted from the system using Chebukati’s log in details.
3. Why Messer MFU failed to supply and (or) avail printing and scanning machines to the various gazetted tallying centers.
4. Why the commission purchased satellite phones at 848M that were totally never distributed to the poll officers at the various tallying centers for results transmission.
5. Why the statutory forms did not have the approved security features and appropriate names of candidates in accordance with ballot proofs as agreed with Al Ghurair.
6. Why the integrated electoral management systems were not stored in one agreed single place.
7. Explain why the commission adopted and used porous file server system to transmit forms 34B to the national tallying center.
8. Fully explain why some KIEMS kits were assigned Airtel and Telkom as their service providers yet the places assigned did not have the network coverage of the Airtel and Telkom.
9. Avail an explanation why 595 polling stations completely failed or refused to send any result to the national tallying center upon declaration of Uhuru as the winner.
10. Who allowed Uhuru’s chief agent, Davis Chirchir to log into the system using exclusive IEBC’s secretariat password from a discreet location.
Chebukati wants the accurate responses from Chiloba by end of last week