By Ngunjiri Wambugu
It is exactly 2 years yesterday since I was elected. WE ARE NOT EVEN HALF-WAY THROUGH THIS TERM! We are still 3 YEARS AWAY from another election.
Yet some of my colleagues are busy ‘tanga tanga-ing’ all over the country asking for votes for 2022. And they do it with such vigor and style one would think the elections are next month!!!!
This is so wrong. Especially when the President expressly, directly & specifically keeps publicly demanding that MPs should stop premature campaigns … and work!
What makes it so terrible is that the person who is leading this drama is the President’s own Deputy, Dr William Samoei Ruto. And because he is doing it though proxies he thinks Kenyans do not see what he is doing.
WHAT DR RUTO DOES.
1. Dr Ruto will usually facilitate 10/20 MPs to accompany him for a political event somewhere in the country.
2. Dr Ruto will then smile happily as these MPs sing his praises, sit quietly as they campaign for his 2022 presidential bid (against his boss’s express, direct and specific instructions), listen attentively as they insult Opposition Leader Raila Odinga (who is working with his Boss President Kenyatta in a project initiated by President Uhuru to unite the country), and watch silently as these MPs directly attack the war his boss has initiated against corruption.
3. Dr Ruto will then stand up to speak – and because of his status he always gets to speak last – after all these MPs have spoken. However he will not reprimand them for their very obvious misbehavior and disrespect to his Boss the President. Nope. Not at all.
4. Dr Ruto will instead speak like none of the speeches above actually happened. He will proceed to enumerate the development work he (and his Boss) are doing in Kenya, then speak about how he and his Boss are close and even explain how he’s only ‘mtu ya mkono ya Boss’, pass his Boss’s greeting (and ‘contribution’), and end by pledging his undying love and commitment to his Boss. Dr Ruto will further insist that we understand that he supports his Boss 100%, respects him totally, and is unflinching in his commitment to his legacy agenda; (and here he always mentions Big4; never mentions the fight against corruption, and until very recently only spoke about the handshake when talking of ‘evil’).
5. Dr Ruto will then angrily demand that politicians must stop premature campaigns, that everyone in Jubilee must work together under the singular leadership of his terrific boss, President Uhuru Kenyatta, and that Jubilee Party must avoid being divided by senseless politics. He will even go as far as saying he will take responsibility of ensuring everyone toes the line and works together.
6. (HOWEVER) Dr Ruto will then facilitate this same cheering squad of MPs to accompany him to yet another event a few days later somewhere else in the country and the script above will be followed to the letter – right there in his presence; point-by-point.
Sometimes I think Dr William Samoei Ruto thinks he’s the only smart guy in the room, and that all other Kenyans, including his Boss, are stupid.
Meanwhile in the 24 months I have been in office we initiated 120 projects across my constituency directly through the NG-CDF & KERRA Committees alone, where I am the Patron.
I have also ensured Nyeri Town has over 25 National Projects worth over 120B, which are in various stages of implementation through Ministry of Roads, (KURA, KENHA, etc), Ministry of Water, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Interior, Ministry of ICT, Ministry of Trade, etc.
Key amongst them are the expansion of the Nyaribo Airstrip, Dedan Kimathi Technology Workshop, Kiandogoro-Ndunyu Njeru road, the Nyeri Town dual-carriage loop extension on the Kenol/Isiolo Dual Carriage, several tarmac roads within Nyeri, the Riamukurwe Irrigation Project & 7 others, etc. We are also working on a community radio station for youth, revival of KIE stations, etc.
In 36 months we will have quadrupled what we have done so far … 😇
Lakini … very soon …