We the officials of the ODM party from all the four Counties of Bungoma, Busia, Kakamega and Vihiga held a one day consultative forum here in Kakamega today Saturday 16th May 2015 which was graced by the Party Leader the Rt. Hon. Raila Amolo Odinga and his Deputy H.E. Hon. Wycliffe Ambetsa Oparanya.
During the meeting, the members resolved as follows;
– That we shall forge unity of purpose for the party in all the four Counties with the aim of rejuvenating and strengthening our party ahead of the next general election.
– That we shall use resources within our means to ensure the party membership is strengthened and maintain our support base and prepare our party for the next election.
– We recognize the importance of coalition building in the current political set up in Kenya and that our relationship with our sister partners Wiper Democratic Movement and FORD-KENYA and the need to co-exist as members of the same house as we maintain our identities.
– We take great exception to the decision by the Jubilee regime to deny our Principals Rt. Hon. Raila Odinga and H.E. Hon. Kalonzo Musyoka their deserved pension. The decision by the president not to sign in to law the bill for their pension is not only naive and selfish but also vindictive laced with discrimination.
– We support the Okoa Kenya initiative which is aimed at making amendments to the constitution and embedding various aspects of devolution, electoral, and land reforms, enhancing security and promoting gender equity into the Constitution. Devolution is at the heart of every Kenyan and there is need for strengthening it for the better of development in the counties and governance. We therefore shall rally all our troops to support the upcoming referendum.
– The run-away insecurity is alarming and disturbing. The wanton loss of lives to insecurity and displacement of people in Northern Kenya and parts of Rift Valley is worrying. We demand that the government steps up its efforts to restore security in those areas and ensure the safety of her citizens which is the core responsibility of the government.
– The ODM delegates from Western Kenya fully support the Deputy Party Leader H.E. Hon. Wycliffe Ambetsa Oparanya in his bid to become the Chairman of the Council of Governors in the election that is scheduled for later this month. We have confidence that Governor Oparanya is capable and up to the task to steer the Governors Council to greater heights.
– Finally, we resolve that our 2017 choice for the President is the Rt. Hon. Raila Amolo Odinga and we shall work tirelessly to rally the entire region to support his candidature.
Thank you and God Bless Kenya.