By: Moses Kandie
The news that Zimbabwe is more broke than most Kenyan slum dwellers came at the wrong time for the Jubilee duo, the duo Uhuru Kenyatta and William Ruto are keen on ascending into the presidency at the risk of sending Kenya the Zimbabwe way.
â€˜â€™This is the type of news that Uhuru and Ruto teams could pay millions to water down. In fact, if it was done by a local journalist it would not hit the airwaves. Luckily, this was done by the French News Agency – Agence France Presse AFPâ€, said a Nairobi based news editor of a leading media house who requested anonymity.
“I can bet kina Moses, Alfie and others are having ulcers on this small piece by AFPÂ and Huffington post on Zimbabwe having only $217 in the bank,the piece was actually republished by Capital FM, it is nothing they can do though “Â said the editor in reference to this link that went viral on Facebook (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/29/zimbabwe-217-bank-finance-minister_n_2576671.html)
Any credible news touching on sanctions is bad to Jubilee, it is a fact that their candidature is based on the ICC case and powered by propaganda that is fast approaching menopause, initially they alleged that Raila took them to the Hague, with time ordinary folks got to know the true position and I am sure by March 4th the electorate will be a ware of the consequences of electing the duo especially the threats of sanctions.
The Kenyan electorate should not be blinded by tribalism. The choices are clear; prosperity or sanctions, Singapore or Zimbabwe. Western powers have already made it clear; elect ICC accused and you are on your own!
A few clowns who understand little or nothing on International Economics are parroting on social media especially Facebook that China is open for business and that Kenya does not need the USA and Europe.
Uhuru Kenyatta was quoted recently saying that he has no time to engage the West (read Europe and USA) and that instead, Kenya will trade with Africa and China. Well, Zimbabwe has been trading with China,and the results are public for all to read- the country is broke than a mama mboga in Kibera! Is ChinaÂ alone of help? NO!
Â Zimbabweâ€™s economy has been on a free fall because development partners are not willing to support a regime that does not subscribe to the most basic of democratic tenets. This is a polite way of referring to sanctions and international isolation.
Two weeks ago, the Netherlands banned Miraa imports from Kenya.Â What did Uhuru do? He begged the Netherlands to reconsider the ban and open business with Kenya miraa traders. Why did he NOT offer toÂ approach China to teach the Chinese how to consume miraa as a new frontier for our miraa? Call it hypocrisy soon hitting a dead end !
Truth be told: We are living in the era of globalization, all African and Asian countries including Pakistan (largest importer of Kenya tea) depend on USA in one way or another. Sanctions on Kenya means all allies of USA and Europe will be advised (read ordered) NOT to trade with Kenya. It will not be business as usual.
Points To Remember:
- That if the economy collapses all Kenyans will be affected. Our economy is yet to fully recover from the effects of 2008 PEV. Another shock on the economy will send the cost of living beyond the reach of wananchi. Mind you, the price of bread, Unga, kerosene is the same in Nyeri, Siaya, Garisa, Eldoret and any other town/village in Kenya. All Kenyans will be affected whether Kikuyu, Luo, Kalenjin, Kamba, Ogiek, Somali et el.
- That Zimbabwe’s economy was doing fairly well like Kenya before sanctions were slapped on them, itâ€™s been pain since then. With sanctions, inflation hit the skies as local currency went to the dogs.
- That even with the help of China, South Africa and other African countries, Zimbabwe has NOT and will not recover until Europe and USA lift sanctions to allow more foreign direct investment (FDI) into the country.
- That China is keen on flooding our economy with cheap Chinese labour. China cares more about the Chinese citizens than Kenyans. It is called national self-interest.
- That Kenya receives billions in aid for Malaria, AIDS, TB control from Europe and USA. If such aid is stopped, thousands of poor folks will die and reverse all gains so far made.
- That your closest relative is a neighbour who may not necessarily be your tribe.
Kenyans are slowly but surely realizing what is at stake, and the Jubilee duo are now spending sleepless nights to shift debate from these critical issues, and keep the masses under the tribal spell. Vote wisely!