By Annwar Sadat
Last evening, State House director of communication Facebook branch released a statement attributed to Agnes Odhiambo, the Controller of Budget. We are aware that following the publishing of her summary of the 2013/2014 budget and expenditure, in which the greed and appetite for public funds by the Jubilee administration was clearly captured may have rattled many.
Her sudden change of narrative may have been made under duress, Agnes may have been called by top statehouse operatives and ordered to write an exonerating statement (this is not new, not so long a go a commissioner with the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission Dr Keino was called to AG’s chambers where she was ordered to resign by a top statehouse operative- whom she alleged had a gun on the table)
The Director of Budget’s latest statement not withstanding, we ask the jubilee administration to clarify the following.
1. Why was money received on behalf of the Kenyan government transferred to an offshore account on 24th July 2014, contrary to the requirement of the Kenyan constitution, article 206, section 17(2) of the Public Finance and Management act, 2012
2. $ 605 million, about kshs. 60 billions, was withdrawn from the offshore account to pay a syndicated loan which was included in expenditures of 2012/2013, and yet only Kshs. 30 billion is shown as received by the receipts at the Exchequer? where did the other kshs. 30 billions go to?
3. When was the syndicated loan acquired? what was it for?
4.The Eurobond was secured, partly to pay for infrustructure developments. what developments were paid for by the money?- we know the major project of the Jubilee administration was the standard railway gauge, which is fully funded by china.
5. It is alleged that between $200-$300 million was transfered from the offshore account in Zurich to Commercial Bank of Africa( associated with Kenyatta family) what was this money for?
6. We know that about Kshs. 200 million was transfered from the offshore accounts to an account associated with the lawyer that defended president Kenyatta at the Hague, why was he paid by the Eurobond money?
7. If the EuroBond money was used as liquidity capital release pressure on domestic borrowing, why then is the interest rates as high as 27%? Why is the government asking Kenyans to contribute through M-Akiba to shore up dwindling cash flow? Why? Why?
Finaly, if indeed, there was no misappropriation of funds as stated by the Jubilee administration, then we ask the government to publicly share the statements of the Offshore account with the public. As an account, holding funds for the kenyan people, we as the people, have the rights to access the statement of that account.
Eng. Anwar Saddat.