Nairobi deputy governor Polycarp Igathe resigned om Friday afternoon as Nairobi deputy governor barely four months in office citing trust issuea between him and Governor Sonko.
Indeed anybody can agree that itis not easy to work with Sonko especially if you dont have a chemistry like that of Uhuru and Ruto or Raila/Mudavadi/Kalonzo.
Legally governor Sonko can decide to do any of these three things,
Option one: Resign as well
Option Two: Nominate another deputy
Option Three: Work without a deputy for a full term
(1) The office of the county governor shall become vacant if the holder of the office–
(b) resigns, in writing, addressed to the speaker of the county assembly;
(c) ceases to be eligible to be elected county governor under Article 180(2);
(d) is convicted of an offence punishable by imprisonment for at least twelve months; or
(e) is removed from office under this Constitution.
(2) If a vacancy occurs in the office of county governor, the deputy county governor shall assume office as county governor for the remainder of the term of the county governor.
(3) If a person assumes office as county governor under clause (2), the person shall be deemed for the purposes of Article 180 (7)–
(a) to have served a full term as county governor if, at the date on which the person assumed office, more than two and a half years remain before the date of the next regularly scheduled election under Article 180 (1); or
(b) not to have served a term of office as county governor, in any other case.
(4) If a vacancy occurs in the office of county governor and that of deputy county governor, or if the deputy county governor is unable to act, the speaker of the county assembly shall act as county governor.
(5) If a vacancy occurs in the circumstances contemplated by clause (4), an election to the office of county governor shall be held within sixty days after the speaker assumes the office of county governor.
(6) A person who assumes the office of county governor under this Article shall, unless otherwise removed from office under this Constitution, hold office until the newly elected county governor assumes office following the next election held under Article 180
Well, hopefully he doesnt recall his buddy and Hon Mbugua from EALA to be his deputy.
Mike Sonko was suspicious of his deputy whom many believe was seconded by mt Kenya mafia to checkmate Sonko.
It is rather obvious that Uhuru was keen on his family friend Dr Evans Kidero retaining the city but Sonko outmaneuvered the system.
Statehouse will most likely nominate the next deputy and may most likely be one of the outgoing cabinet Secretaries like Phylis Kandie or Hon Ababu Namwamba.