By E T
Matters LSK have for the last few days occupied our minds and I would like to say a few things; –
1. When I joined Council there was already a council resolution for each member to contribute 50,000 towards construction of the IAC. This decision was subject to approval by the AGM but since we were approaching elections it was in the wisdom of council not a good time to call for the SGM and this was shelved for the new term of the next council.
2. LSK affairs continue to run and when a new council is elected it continues with the business of the previous council. The only input we had was to reduce the figure to 39,000.
3. In the aftermath of the SGM which in my opinion may have failed to meet the expectations of members, we may as a council have spurned several opportunities to steer the course for the best interests of our society. I have may at board level disagreed with some of the issues but they remain decisions of council to which am collectively bound.
4. What started as genuine concern as to the question of the IAC some of which I shared and still do appears lost.
5. There are those who wish to have the genuine concerns addressed, those who want to pay even more to see the center up and those who don’t mind it coming up as long as they don’t pay and those who don’t want it built under any circumstances. All deserve to be heard.
6. As far as I know I have not heard of any complaints on the resolution to build the centre which was made before the controversial SGM.
7. The current mistrust is largely borne out of the view that the council is opaque in it’s operations and thus where a credible explanation is made it will be viewed in coloured lenses. Granted the Council hasn’t really done much to change this perception if anything than to enhance it.
8. A divided house is definitely inimical to our interests and LSK which will be here long after our term. We must find the middle ground and the voices of all need to be heard.
9. I am not sure how we can find the middle ground in the present culture of mistrust. But I know that we must find it.
10. When I got into this I knew leadership sometimes can be unpopular especially where hard decisions have to be taken. This period has been a challenge and further I am only human. We all are. Let’s just remember that.