By hon Koigi wa Wamwere
Referendum must be to resolve Kenyaâ€™s intractable problems, not to serve Railaâ€™s political ambitions and interests. To serve Kenya and not Raila or President Uhuru, referendum or opposition to it must not be politicized and eventually killed through conflict of interests.
To succeed, the referendum must also address the following Kenyaâ€™s intractable problems.
1. To ensure Kenya never backslides into dictatorship and develops into a guaranteed democracy, referendum must erase detention without trial from the new constitution.
2. To eradicate poverty, referendum must substitute its mother capitalism with social democracy that has eliminated poverty in Scandinavian countries.
3. To ensure inclusion of all in government, referendum must substitute negative ethnicity or tribalism with nationalism as national ideology.
4. To have leadership that will save people, referendum must activate Chapter Six on integrity, ethics, integrity and national values. Without Chapter Six, Kenyan leadership will remain rotten with corruption and immorality.
5. To save Kenya from corruption, referendum should ensure, political leadership, civil service and their immediate families are barred from business until they retire from office and employment.
6. To actualize basic rights for Kenyans, referendum must either implement Bill of Rights or erase the constitutional lie from the constitution.
Without addressing the above problems, a referendum will be a waste of hope, time and resources.