By Moses Kandie
Jubilee candidate for the Kericho Senatorial by-elections is a lonely man. The crowds seem to be keeping off his campaign rallies. The people are openly telling him that they are ready to send a strong protest message to Jubilee and Deputy President William Ruto by voting for KANU candidate Paul Sang, popularly known as ‘Chamanbuch’.
Here are some of the reasons why.
1. Top five government jobs were all given to CS Charles Keter’s relatives prompting residents to question if other families in the entire county do have well learned and experienced persons
2 Fraud Jubilee Party nominations; the party nominations were bungled ODM style, the DP sent Nixon Korrir his aide to preside over the nominations and handed it over to Aaron Cheruyoit a nephew of CS Keter, Aaron is from Nakuru county. Many elected leaders from the area including governor Chepkwony and five MPs are of the opinion that if they support a fraud nomination then come 2017 they will be rigged out at nominations. Its therefore important to stop this culture before it becomes a cancer in Rift Valley.
3. Teachers feel it is payback time for Jubilee government, and KNUT Secretary General Wilson Sossion has openly voiced his support for the KANU candidate. The government that William Ruto is part of mistreated teachers. The government’s ‘can’t pay, won’t pay’ response to teachers demands did not go down well, not with all the stealing happening at the national government.
4. Governor Isaac Rutto is seen as representing and defending devolution. His message of devolution resonates well with the people in the grassroots.
5. Dissolving Jubilee and merging with TNA without proper consultation with people is seen as arrogance of the highest order. The Kalenjin feel they will lose the bargaining power if they merge with Central/Mount Kenya. People are also tired of jumping from one party to another; it was KANU, then ODM, UDM, URP, JAP and now JP
6. Charles Keter is accused of influencing and messing up the Jubilee Party nominations. There is also talk that Aaron is a nephew to the minister and that he ails from Nakuru County.
7. There is a general feeling among the Kipsigis and South Rift that being in government has not done them any good, at least compared to their partners in the coalition. KANU and Mashinani Party are providing a platform through which these issues are being aired.
Will yesterday’s apology and promises by Deputy President William Ruto stop the momentum by the KANU-MASHINANI tag team?