In the Photo President Uhuru addressing security personel in Kapedo Baringo county, Robert Alai reveals that Uhuru was wearing a bullet proof jacket !
By Chadwick Bironga Makori via Facebook
The problem with governing through Public Relations is that one day real situations arise. H.E President Uhuru Kenyatta did not wear military regalia to Turkana yesterday because he realises how silly it would look after policemen are dead.
The regrettable death of 20 policemen this weekend, the attack on the Nyali barracks and the Malindi AP camp show without reasonable doubt that the country is NOT secure.
Launching military events in military attire is not the same as being secure. Military parades, NYS marches and singing songs is just fine, but PR is NOT a security governing strategy.
The raiders, bandits, terrorists and militia groups do not care about your pictures in Facebook in fancy military regalia. Or the full page articles about how you look lovely.
Mr president, get off Facebook and MANAGE security. Five things you may do for our security:
1. Reorganize your security structure. The public does not have confidence in your security administration. Maybe you should get rid of Ole Lenku.
2. Do an audit of our capabilities both in equipment and personnel, determine where there are resource gaps and make a plan for this investment.
3. Develop an emerging threats strategy. Recognise and acknowledge new threats and their patterns and develop effective strategies to counter them
4. Training and development of specialist units. The whole security structure needs training on these emergent threats. Work with our partners that may be more familiar with these threats. And it is high time smart and intelligent people got recruited into our Intel and Security Forces.
5. Not all security events need a military solution. Conflict resolution, community engagement, sustained attention and public investment sometimes do the trick.
6. Introduce diversity in your security structure. The problem with having a single tribe (and with a few others as also-rans) in the management of security issues is that they do not bring a different angle in the analysis and management of these threats.
Diversify Mr president, trust the rest of us for once.