Dr. Matiang’i Has No Authority To Ban Protests
1. Interior cabinet secretary Dr. Fred Matiang’i has illegally banned protests in Kenya’s major cities of Kisumu, Nairobi and Mombasa.
2. I want to let Matiang’i and Jubilee administration know that under no circumstances can a constitutionally guaranteed right be banned.
3. Under article 37, Kenyans are allowed to “peaceably and unarmed, to assemble, to demonstrate, to picket, and to present petitions to public authorities.”
4. That’s a sacrosanct right that is given not by government by by God and cannot be taken away. It’s a right Kenyans conferred to themselves.
5. The responsibility of police and government is to facilitate protests by providing security of citizens and property.
6. Security agancies may also arrest protester (s) who destroy property or cause harm to others and press charges in the court of law without brutalizing or harming them.
7. So we shall defy Matiang’i order because it’s unconstitutional and dictatorial.