By Jack Ambuka
It is widely acknowledged that Raila and NASA won the August polls the day they signed the MoU uniting all opposition leaders.
Now to maintain the lead and win August polls with a landslide Raila Odinga and NASA Must Raise And Spend Money. Here is why.
1. Throughout the world, political campaigns are won on the strength of policies, propaganda and money.
2. In Kenya where more often than not policies don’t define political discourse, money is even a major factor in campaign. Without money and blind tribal/clan support, its near impossible to win an election.
3. Yet, it seems NASA and Raila Odinga are solely predicating their anticipated win mostly on message, supporters loyalty and public rallies.
4. Regardless of NASA’s popularity and Raila Odinga’s admirable political credentials, message alone will not guarantee a win in the forth coming general election. Money must be raised and spent.
5. To purchase and brand campaign merchandise, money must be spent. To coin a persuasive message, contextualize it and deliver it appropriately, money must be spent. To advertise Raila and NASA in print and electronic media, money must be spent.
6. To recruit, train and deploy volunteers, money must be spent. To transport and distribute branded merchandise, money must be spent. To hire and pay staff, money must be spent.
7. To motivate potential voters and lock them in the NASA camp, money must be spent. To hire public address and event organizer, money must be spent. To hire vehicles, money must be spent.
8. Luckily, Raila has a name with national and international monetary networks to do fundraisers and attract donations.
9. Either Raila hasn’t exploited these networks or money donated to Raila and NASA is not being utilized in a prudent manner. Campaign donations must be spent transparently to the last cent.
10. Moreover, NASA and Raila should take advantage of national and international support system to ask for money. I’m in an international group of NASA supporters who are interested in donating funds to NASA.
11. Sadly, we don’t have any Mpesa pay bill number from NASA campaign team. We aren’t sure if there’s NASA bank account number in which NASA campaign funds can be wired.
12. NASA campaign manager and secretariat must move with speed to publish NASA bank account number and Mpesa pay bill number in which NASA supporters can channel their donations of 10,100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000 Kenyan shillings to boost NASA campaign.
13. Otherwise NASA’s total dependence on message, good will and luck will not work. Money must be raised and spent to neutralize money fired-up Jubilee.