Two people have died, while seven others are admitted to Gatundu Level 4 Hospital after coming into contact with the carcass of a cow infected with anthrax.
Those taken to hospital had swollen arms and complained of headaches and fever.
The Gaitheche Village residents reportedly went to help a neighbour skin a cow that had died of an unknown illness.
Police and residents identified the dead as Pius Gitau Mari, 49 and Kimani Ngunga, 38.
Five of those taken to hospital were discharged Wednesday morning.
Mr Gabriel Mwathi said he was going to look for fodder on Friday last week when he was approached by a neighbour to assist in skinning the carcass.
â€œI met six other people and after skinning the animal, we carried some of the meat for our dogs,â€ he said.
Medical Superintendent Patrick Nyaga said the patients were out of danger but called on those who might have touched the carcass to seek treatment immediately.