The commission for university education has listed the following eight universities to be closed in Nairobi city centre in the next six months because they are not located in a conducive environment for learning.Â
Although the parent institutions of the campuses have not been closed, students enrolled will have to contact the universitiesÂ for further directions.
Tuko.co.keÂ has learnt that the commission plans toÂ close theÂ universities because they do not have adequate infrastructure, lecturers and are also not located within a learning environment.
â€œThe institutions listed do not haveÂ adequate physical, human, library and financial resources, viable relevant academic programmes and sound structure of governance,â€ the regulations of the commission by Prof David Some state.
If the universities meet the above conditions within the six months stipulated by Prof Some, then they will not have to be relocated out of the city centre.
- St Paulâ€™s University campus located along Moi Avenue, Church House.
- Egerton University campus in Stanbank House.
- Africa Nazarene University campuses in Agrho House and Stanbank House.
- South Eastern Kenya University campus in Development house.
- Dedan Kimathi University of Technology campuses in Union Towers and Biashara Plaza.
- Multi-Media University of Kenya campus located in City Square Post Office Building
- Masinde Muliro University campus on Kingsway Building
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology campus in Westlands
Prof Some has however said the following will continue to operate from the city centre.
- Moi University campus at Bazaar Plaza.
- Mount Kenya University campuses in Parklands, MKU Towers, Union Towers and Bank Plaza.
- Kenyatta University campuses located on Haile Selassie Avenue and Parklands
- Laikipia Universityâ€™s Upper Hill Campus
- University of Eastern Africa, Baratonâ€™s extension centre on Ring Road
- Pan African Christian University on Valley Road
- Kenya Methodist University campuses located in Kemu Towers and along University way