Kibra MP Ken Okoth has warned president Uhuru Kenyatta over plans to issue title deeds to a selected group and individuals in his constituency, saying the manner in which the exercise is being handled will trigger ‘deadly violence’.
Okoth who termed the president’s visit to the expansive slum constituency a ‘rumour’ expressed misgivings in the manner Lands Cabinet secretary Charity Ngilu and the Jubilee government is handling land allocation in the constituency without involving all leaders.
“Kibera is a sensitive place that can easily explode into deadly violence if proper consultation is not done for a comprehensive plan on land and housing for all residents of the slum,” said Okoth.
“In the last two weeks, there has been a build up of tension and misunderstanding on the ground among communities who normally coexist peacefully. Today, one the day before a rumored visit by HE President Kenyatta to Kibra tomorrow, nobody, not even me as the elected MP of Kibra knows the exact plan and purpose of the visit,” he said.
The MP also says the planned activity leaves out key leaders instrumental to peace in the Kibra community, among them Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero, Prime Minister Raila Odinga, Langata MP Joash Olum, County Representatives of the affected areas Alhad Adam (Makina Ward), Obenge Obenge (Lindi Ward), David Kitavi (Laini Saba Ward), Pius Otieno (Sarang’ombe Ward) and himself as the MP for Kibra.
“Over the last week, conflicting reports have leaked to the community about a planned visit to Kibera by HE President Uhuru Kenyatta and Deputy President William Ruto to issue an unknown number of title deeds to individuals, organizations, as well as a community title for 288 acres to trustees of the Nubian people,” he said.
On Tuesday this week, Ngilu visited parts of Kibera, resulting in violent demonstrations by angry residents who feared that her visit will trigger mass evictions in parts of Kibra.
Hon Okoth also says while the government only plans to give the Nubian community some 288 acres of land, the community had claimed 4000 acres, most of which have been subdivided and sold to private developers. The process of allotment, according to the MP, has been “shrouded in mystery”.
“As the MP of Kibra, I can assure you that our people want peace and development. I have advocated consistently for the rights of the Nubian people to get justice by recognition of their claims to more than 4,000 acres of land initially allocated to them by the British Colonial government,” said the MP.
“Unfortunately, it seems like the current government plans to offer Nubians only 288 acres in Kibra and has not addressed the question of compensation for the rest of the land under their original claim. Within the proposed 288 acres Nubian Village in Kibra, it is not clear what plan the government has for resettlement or compensation of non-Nubian structure owners, tenants, and about 100 other individuals and organizations who over the years obtained genuine title deeds within the area,” he said.
Post by Dikembe Disembe