Is Jimmy Kibaki The Next Nairobi Deputy Governor? Baba And Kibaki Gave Sonko A Signal?
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko is now the most-sought after politician in the country, with dozens of high profile politicians said to be lobbying to be his deputy.
Jimmy Kibaki, the eldest son of former President Mwai Kibaki, is the latest high profile person to join the list of leaders believed to be eyeing the vacant slot of Nairobi deputy governor.
Jimmy who has maintained a low profile after his attempt to join politics in 2013 flopped terribly, but his star is set to rise again if Sonko picks him to his deputy.
Sonko and Jimmy met last week at Kibaki’s home in Muthaiga during a “hand shake” meeting between Kibaki and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga.
Jimmy and Sonko had a tête-à-tête during the closed door meeting and it’s believed during the occasion, Jimmy lobbied to be picked as Sonko’s deputy.
The seat was left vacant following the resignation of former deputy governor Polycarp Igathe who vacated the seat in January after he claimed that he has failed to earn the trust of Governor Sonko to enable him work at the county.
Two months ago in March Governor Sonko unveiled a short list of 22 prominent personalities as possible replacements for Igathe.
“Great people of Nairobi, some say politics is about numbers. This FB page of mine has over 1,300,000 fans out of which 925,892 are Nairobians. I believe it is you the great people and God who have the powers of nominating leaders. Hence hebu munisaidie hapa (help me here) whom do you think deserves to be my Deputy Governor?” Sonko asked.
Here is the full list of the personalities Sonko announced.
1. ANNE KIGUTA – Royal media Tv presenter
2. MIGUNA MIGUNA – Lawyer
3. HON. JANET OUKO – Educationist & current CECM education
Youth affairs & Gender
4. AGNESS KAGURE KARIUKI – Top business lady & a consistent insurance
5. BISHOP MARGARET WANJIRU – Former MP, Asst. Minister & current
6. HON. DENNIS WAWERU – Former MP & CEO Faida investment bank.
7. MILLICENT OMANGA – Nominated Senator & former Director
8. JOHN GAKUO – Former Town clerk NCC
9. KAREN NYAMU – Lawyer
10. JIMNA MBARU – Current chairman Dyer & Blair investments
11. RAYMOND MATIBA – Former chairman KTB
12. PROF.JAMES OLE KIYAPI – Former PS & Presidential candidate
13. POLYCARP IGATHE – Former Nairobi Deputy Governor, CEO VIVIO (K) Ltd & former chairman KAM
Kenya Association of Manufacturers
14. ESTHER PASSARIS – Nairobi City County Wowen Representative
15. IRUNGU NYAKERA – Former PS Infrastructure & banker
16. SUSAN MATIBA
17. JOMO GECAGA – President Uhuru Kenyatta’s Personal Assistant
18. NJEE MUTURI – Statehouse deputy Chief of Staff
19. GEORGE KARIUKI – Statehouse Secretary Communications
20. MUHOHO JOMO KENYATTA – President Uhuru Kenyatta’s brother
21 HON. RACHEL SHEBESH – Former Nairobi Women Rep & current CAS Gender & Youth Ministry
22. HON. SIMON MBUGUA – Former Kamkunji MP & current EALA MP
This story was first published at WWW.KNATV.CO.KE