The International Criminal Court has denied reports that Meshack Yebei, a man who was found murdered on Saturday was a witness for the prosecution adding that he was not in contact with prosecution staff at the time of his abduction.
Deputy President William Ruto who is facing charges at the ICC had confirmed the murdered youthful politician from his village was his SUPER witnesses.
Through his lawyer, Karim Khan, Ruto haw written to CID director Ndegwa Muhoro demanding that police first confirm through a DNA test that body was indeed that of his super witness Meshack Yebei.
Blogger Dennis Itumbi described Meshack Yibei back in 2011 as “SLY AND TROUBLESOME WITNESS TO PEV CASE
The burnt and mutilated body of Yebei 34, was retrieved from the River Yala bridge by police in Nandi county on Saturday. The bridge is about 15km Southwest of Kapsabet town. On Wednesday last week, the Star exclusively reported how Yebei was dramatically abducted by people who later pretended to be ICC investigators in SMS messages to his mother and a friend.
The family says he was kidnapped near his home in Uasin Gishu county on Sunday December 28th and driven away by unidentified people who had two black cars.
The ICC further said that its Registry had offered Yebei security including a safe residency in a new location, he however returned to Uasin Gishu where the incident took place.
The ICC Registry is in contact with Kenyan authorities for further information on the investigations.
“While local authorities are conducting further examination, the family of Mr Yebei has confirmed the identity of his body. We express our profound condolences to the family”, stated Herman von Hebel, ICC Registrar.
“The Court is profoundly concerned by this grave reported incident. It stands ready to provide the local authorities with any assistance, if required, in their investigations. Ensuring the safety and security of witnesses is a cornerstone of fair trials”, he added.