Kenyatta National Hospital has sacked 12 doctors for taking part in the strike that entered its 94th day today.
CEO Lily Koros took orders from ‘above’ in taking the decision, she said they had been advised against participating since the strike was illegal, and assured that they would be protected under the law.
Koros further told a press briefing on Wednesday that 48 doctors were issued with show cause letters in January and were undergoing disciplinary action.
“The management is now escalating the disciplinary process to have cases determined expeditiously to the full extent provided by the law,” she said.
She directed all striking doctors employed by the Kenya’s biggest teaching and referral hospital to return to work.
“…or they will face disciplinary action that includes summary dismissal, eviction from hospital quarters and other administrative action,” she said.
KMPDU has maintained that the government has to implement the 2013 CBA on salaries and working conditions for the strike to end.
Talks between the parties hit a dead end after the government said it will not meet health workers’ demands.
The government said the strike was illegal and accused doctors of blackmail.
President Uhuru Kenyatta said on Tuesday that the Sh14.5 billion offer doctors rejected was all the state could give.
Uhuru ordered the doctors to go back to work and threatened to take action against those who will not.