By Hon Monda Ochwati
Here is the shocking expoze by Citizen TV highlighing the rot at Kisii Teaching and refferal hospital, the facility serves patients mainly in South Nyanza and Rift Valley (Kisii, Nyamira, Migori, Transmara and Homa Bay
The situation at Kisii Teaching & Referral Hospital:
1. No water in the taps and bathrooms, the patients have to literary get water from outside.
2. Patients are not getting enough assistance: some have not been attended by doctors, poor nursing services that a patient had to poop in bed because they are not assisted.
3. Patients have to get their own wheel chairs; the wheel chairs in the store are given out selectively.
4. They have to get bring their own cups, plates, spoons, soap, toilet paper, water containers, and washing troughs.
5. They have to come with their own family member/caretaker, because it not the business of the nurses to care for the patients.
6. They need additional bedings, sandals and own clothing. (Established hospitals have uniforms for patients).
7. There are no drugs in the pharmacy. Patients have to buy them from specified chemists.
8. Arrogance from both support and medical staff. Even a watchman at the gate can kick your ass.
9. Old and dilapidated structure, but we have a brand new morgue and morgue facilities.
10. Food portions are poorly cooked, terribly small and sometimes other patients miss. The food handling is completely unhigienic.
N/B All these is happening, yet KTRH receives more than 500 million annually directly from the county Government, besides other donated funds.
The expoze confirms that Governor Ongwae is grossly incompetent and should move with speech and make necessary changes to effect turnaround. This is totally unacceptable as the facility is the biggest in the region and serves people from at least 6 counties. We cant have our people suffering while they are sick. The hospital is now a jail and causing stress to patients. God help us get change in our leadership at the counties and national level…