ODM Secretary General and Budalangi MP Ababu Namwamba who is on a business tripÂ to a number of European countries met with the President of Iceland, H.E Â Ã“lafur Ragnar GrÃmsson. The meeting is the first in a series of high profile meetings the Budalangi MP is set to engage in. Later, Ababu is expected to meet the Mayor of Iceland’s capital city.
The Budalangi MP is on a two-week charm offensive in European diaspora as he re-activates his political networks across the globe. Namwamba has indicated he is cutting his own niche.
“â€œMay be am breaking away from some political shadowsÂ and cutting my own niche,â€ that was the response which he gave to a local journalist to summarize the purpose of the trip. Ababu is believed to looking beyond ODM ahead of the 2017 elections.
Namwamba revealed the President Ã“lafur will likely visit Kenya next year to strengthen the diplomatic relations between the two countries.
Sources close to the Budalangi MP reveal his trip has received government suppot, including diplomatic niceties extended to him while he is in Europe.
“He is more a special Kenya envoy to . His international connections, though not very much appreciated in his own party ODM, is highly welcome by citizens. . .including Odinga” said an aide who requested anonymity.
On his Facebook Account, the Budalangi MP said he discussed the following key issues with PresidentÂ Ã“lafur:
1. Political party partnerships.
2. Support to oversight over public finance through Accountability Kenya (which I chair).
3. Kenya-Iceland Parliamentary partnership especially around geothermal/green energy development. Iceland is already providing Kenya with expert consultancy services and training through KENGEN and GDC.
4. Development funding to specific projects in Kenya.
5. Sports/cultural tourism and exchanges.
We also discussed a possible visit to Kenya by H.E. President Grimsson, which we confirmed will happen next year to further strengthen the budding relationship between our two countries.