By Caroline Mutoko
WE DO NOT TEAR GAS CHILDREN:
Whatever the argument may be from the powers that be, this I know for sure and I’m hurt:
1. There’s a kid who started standard 1 today – this will be their FIRST impression of school.
2. In the chaos children run onto the road and everywhere – what if a child was hurt. There’s a highway there.
3. In a country where children are molested and kidnapped – what if in all the chaos they were picked by a nutcase.
4. In the chaos and the fright, there’s a child who won’t get home tonight – what will we tell their mother.
5. There’s a mother who much like me can’t believe her child was tear-gased – how do you un-do this?
6. How will these children ever trust a cop? This was their first encounter with our security/police forces.
We would never grab school land in Westlands, Lavington, Turi, Brookside, Spring Valley, Peponi, ISK etc… but we are more than happy to do so, in the very places our voters send their children to school.
Worse still we don’t think twice about tear-gasing them.
I don’t how I will look my housekeeper, our security guards, the supermarket attendant or even the cops in the face today.
These are THEIR children we tear-gased today.
I’m embarrassed for all of us.
I’m sickened to my very stomach.