Nigeriaâ€™s electoral body on Saturday postponed the countryâ€™s general election for six weeks due to security challenges.
Announcing the decision, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) said the elections will be held on March 28.
With the announcement, southern leaders supporting President Goodluck Jonathan have succeeded in their push to have the elections which had been scheduled for February 14 to be postponed.
INEC chairman Prof Attahiru Jega, had earlier said the election date would not change.
Prof Jega told the Nation that many issues were considered to warrant the change of date, including the current security situation.
He had appeared before the Council of State on Thursday night where he denied speculations that preparations for the elections were shoddy and dismissed other reasons including insecurity as factors to reschedule the election date.
Prof Jega met with 24 civil society organisations where he explained that security chiefs had said they were not ready for the exercise.
Proponents for the shift had accused INEC of planning to rig the 2015 election in favour of the opposition – All Progressives Congress.
The Council of State which was chaired by President Jonathan could not be convinced to shift the polls, but instead advised INEC to collaborate with security agencies to ensure hitch-free elections.
The council is composed of past presidents and their deputies, serving governors, security chiefs, Senate President, House of Representatives Speaker, Chief Justice of Nigeria, former Heads of State, Government, former Chief Justices of Nigeria and Attoney â€“ General of the Federation/Minister of Justice.