What happened at JKIA last night and some protocol lessons:
By F Gori via Facebook
1.DP Ruto was missing in Obama welcoming party. This was widely expected but it was managed poorly, in my opinion. In the end, it looked too obvious.
2. Obama body language towards Uhuru was hmmmm not so warm. The hug was reluctant, almost forced. Obama took so long talking to the little girl who welcomed him with flowers leaving Uhuru hanging. Not sure why. A warm handshake should have sufficed.
3. There were serious gaffes which should have been avoided. While signing the visitors book, Uhuru should have had a seat next to Obama, not standing next to him. Two, an excited Uhuru moved Obama’s chair- playing an aide de camp of sorts. THREE, as Obama convoy left, Uhuru was left standing somewhere, almost looking stranded (oops)! Protocol chaps could have done better. Many lessons to learn here for future engagements.
4. Obama body language towards his sister Dr Auma was warm and genuine. Dr Auma even left with president Obama in the same car- the BEAST. Great show of family bond.
5. I noted that moment of camaraderie between POTUS and Jomo. Lovely
6. All the same, it is great to have Barack home. He is such a source of pride and inspiration.