Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza ousted in a coup in Burundi has arrived in Nairobi according to airport sources. However, credible sources claim he is still holed up in Tanzania.
Nkurunziza is a personal friend of President Uhuru who was critical in the early stages of the then Deputy President’s run for presidency. He hosted Uhuru and a number of cabinet ministers in his official residence at the early stages of TNA formation.
East Africa leaders already rejected the coup. At a hurriedly organized meeting in Tanzania, the EAC leaders roundly condemned the coup.
Gen Godefroid Niyombare announced reasons for overthrowing President Nkurunziza.
“The masses vigorously and tenaciously reject President Nkurunziza’s third-term mandate. President Pierre Nkurunziza has been relieved of his duties. The government is overthrown,” he said in a radio broadcast.
Coup bid leader: Gen Godefroid Niyombare, 46
- Former rebel CNDD-FDD commander and ally of President Nkurunziza
- First ethnic Hutu army chief – a significant step in reconciliation efforts
- A negotiator in peace talks with last rebel group FNL
- Oversaw Burundi’s deployment to Somalia as part of African force
- Served as ambassador to Kenya
- Dismissed as intelligence chief in February three months after his appointment
- Dismissal came days after he recommended against the third-term bid