REPUBLIC VS ZACHARIA OKOTH OBADO AND 2 OTHERS (CRIMINAL CASE NO. 46 OF 2018)
NO CHARGES HAVE BEEN WITHDRAWN. IGNORE THE MEDIA FALSEHOODS.
1. Each of the 3 accused persons – Zacharia Okoth Obado, Michael Juma Oyamo and Caspal Ojwang’ – was charged with murder.
2. None of the accused persons was charged with conspiracy to murder. Each of the three accused persons was charged as a principal offender.
3. There has been an attempt by the counsel for the victims to bring additional charges of conspiracy to murder which was rejected by the DPP.
4. There cannot be a conspiracy charge where the offence is complete. You cannot be charged for conspiracy and the complete offence at the same time. Murder attracts a maximum of upto death sentence, conspiracy would attract upto 14 years only.
5. You cannot withdraw a charge that does not exist. There having been no conspiracy Charges, there cannot be a withdrawal.
6. The murder charges against each of the accused persons stand and await trial.
7. This is another case of misreporting. The above facts can be cross-checked in the court’s file (whose number I have availed above).
.@ODPP_KE has not & does not intend to drop murder charges against Migori Governor Okoth Obado as claimed on social media
Obado & his 2 co-accused are charged with 2 counts of murder of former Rongo University Student Sharon Otieno & her unborn baby pic.twitter.com/owBzzT0olb
— ODPP_KE (@ODPP_KE) May 7, 2019
Charging is the easier part. Now prove it. Beyond any reasonable doubt. Whilst they are entitled to all the benefit of doubt there is, while you aren't to even an iota.
— mshenzi 1 (@mundumugo01) May 7, 2019
Has our judicial system compromised or some high ranking officers hve been bought coz the Governor seems to be enjoying police protection and sharons family is mourning the death of there daughter and grandchild , we need justice
— email@example.com (@bmotorssports) May 7, 2019
This case tracking a little too long!!! Is it the status of the accused that is usually a Kenyan idea that the position one holds both financial and politically determines the nature of the case. Where some are invincible.
— Insp Patrick Napill (@napilly) May 8, 2019