Former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru has filed her own ‘tell-all’ affidavit and turned the guns on fellow Jubilee heavyweights Adan Duale, Senator Kipchumba Murkomen and Deputy President William Ruto’s Personal Assistant, Farouk Kibet.
Waiguru has accused the three of threatening her and Adan Harakhe in an attempt to cover up, “double billing, payments for non-delivered goods and an outrageous inflation of prices,” at the National Youth Service.
Waiguru states that her current “persecution” is the result of her refusal to abet the criminal activities of the three whom she says “were in bed” with former NYS Director General Nelson Githinji and her former Planning Permanent Secretary Peter Mangiti.
She claims that her troubles started when she replaced Githinji with Harakhe as the NYS Authority to Incur Expenditure (AIE) holder.
“It was found that similar hefty amounts had been paid into the accounts associated with (Josephine) Kabura, totalling over Sh791 million between December 2014 and April 2015 prior to my request for investigation. The money was withdrawn in cash immediately it got into the account. The payments were paid when Githinji was the AIE holder.”
Waiguru identifies Kabura – who has in turn accused her of being the architect of the Sh791 million scam – as the “front” of the criminal operation which she alleges was orchestrated by Kibet, Murkomen and Duale.
The former Devolution CS swears that when Harakhe replaced Githinji as AIE holder, he flagged Sh828 million worth of IFMIS transactions which he had not entered into the system; which led them to surmise that his password must have been stolen.
It was then, she states, that she directed Harakhe to report the matter to the Directorate of Criminal Investigation “as it was a cyber crime.”
Mangiti and Githinji on the other hand, she states, sought to pressure Harakhe into having the matter resolved “internally.”
When they failed to persuade him, Waiguru continues to swear, businessman Ben Gethi got involved. “Mangiti summoned him (Harakhe) to Nakumatt Junction at around 7pm on June 14. (They) told him that he had become a stumbling block and if he doesn’t co-operate, they would fix him.”
They, Waiguru says of herself and Harakhe, refused to play ball.
It was later discovered, Waiguru states, that there were questionable transactions that went through prior to the stoppage of the Sh828 million payments, amounting to Sh791 million.
It was after this discovery, Waiguru states, that the big dogs, entered the picture. “Harakhe informed me that there had been various attempts by political actors to intimidate him. Harakhe was texted and called by Duale who advised him that he required political support and that leaders from his region came from URP. Duale warned that he needed to be careful lest he is used and dumped by the other side of the coalition.”
When reached for comment, Duale who is in Malindi campaigning for the Jubilee candidate said he was giving his accusers time to produce proof of the alleged text messages and calls he made to Harakhe.
“I will issue a comprehensive statement tomorrow once I have read the affidavit in detail. But they should not drag my name into their antics. I have never done business with NYS,” Duale said on phone.
Waiguru testifies that she was herself paid a visit by Senator Murkomen who, “informed me that he represented clients who were the merchants whose funds had been stopped at IFMIS and whose bank accounts were frozen by the DCI.”
“I refused to budge,” Waiguru states “and soon after proceedings for my impeachment by an MP from the URP wing of the Jubilee coalition were commenced and calls for my resignation peaked.”
Waiguru identifies DP Ruto’s Personal Assistant Kibet as a close associate of NYS suspect Gethi alleging that they shared 180 phone conversations with “some lasting for hours,” according to information she claims to have received from the DCI.
It’s worth noting that the Directorate of Criminal Investigations “mistakenly” included Kibet on a list of individuals who are to face charges for laundering the Sh791 million worth of stolen NYS funds.