By Agnes Sikuku
How To Know That Your Estate is C And Below.
1.When borrowing stuff is the norm.Women borrow each other shampoo,used weaves,clothes to wear to a ceremony,charger(ya meno ndogo),curtlery and even unga-to add to their unga which is not enough since they forgot to buy or grind maize.
2.The estate is full of bachelor’s who have a pass time of bringing different girls to their houses.Very few or none are in steady relationships.
3.Sharing of bathrooms and toilets.Even with two or three people sharing a toilet,keeping it clean is a challenge.Misunderstandings arise over who should clean and who dirtified them.
4.The families take their children to free parks and annual Ask shows for recreation and fun.Churchil kids festival and going for swimming at local hotels or buying pizza is a luxury parents can’t offer their kids.
5.Children play with readily available material at the limited space in the plot.They use broken pieces of wood,old car or bicycle tyres(Mpara).If they use toys,they are the cheapest in the market.
6.When 96% of the children in the estate walk to the nearby public schools.The remaining 4% attend overrated private schools that drill learners and make them dependent on the teacher.They later score poorly in high school.
7.Most women in the estate watch Afro-cinema,soap operas and local television programs.
8.Many wives in the estate are housewives.Few are self employed or employed without formal training for the job and earn peanuts.
9.It’s difficult for a single lady to survive in the estate.She will be accused of attempting to steal husbands or be treated as a suspect-till she moves houses.
10.The landlord is tired of asking for his rent or rent arrears.He has resorted to threatening to lock some doors_He ends up locking several.
11.Tenants wash utencils from outside and leave them in the sun to dry.They also bath their children from outside and ask them to stand in the sun so that they can dry up.
12.The electricity bill is only known by the landlord or one tenant tasked with taking the bill.The figure they arrive at is what each tenant will pay,willingly or unwillingly.
13.The presence of a poshomill which grinds flour No 2 .
14.Many mama mbogas in the estate and vibanda hotel in the estate that sell cheap food and can offer credit.
15.When women in the estate do their hair at the saloon that the saloonist let’s you wait since she knows you-Again you are almost done and your house is just a stone throw away.
16.At the estate shops, we have men who play drafts all day and like arguing about Arsenal,Manchester and Chelsea.
17.The landlord insists that people should not light their jiko’s in the house.He adds that when they turn off the stove,they should take it outside so that the smoke doesn’t blacken the walls.
18.Few or no tenants have fridges,microwaves,blenders,rice cookers and pressure cookers.
19.One in every ten women go for pedicure,manicure and facial.It’s only that one woman who has acrylic nails.
20.It’s like people are short tempered in the estate.No one can explain why people querrel and fight constantly.
21.Some people hung clothes without pegs.Few hire the services of mama nguo while the rest wonder why some people take their clothes to the dry cleaners or buy a washing machine.