By Eric Onchanji II
While Kivutha Kibwana is doing wonders with devolution, in Homabay where several paid with their lives for devolution to be a reality, it is a big eating party.
In Homabay County, the Auditor’s Report for the year 2015/2016 indicates that…
1. The master payroll indicated an expenditure of Sh388,406,557, while the payroll provided for audit review supports Sh259,623,554. There is an unexplained difference of Sh128,783,003, which was probably paid to ghost workers.
2. The travelling and accommodation claims of Sh1,389,000 by the MCAs did not reflect the correct position since the claimants indicated that they were in Mombasa from 18th to 24th March 2014, while at the same time they were attending a County Assembly forum in Homa Bay at ACK Guest House for staff interviews. They couldn’t be in two places at the same time.
3. The county paid out Sh123 million to a contractor and a consultant for the construction of Kadongo-Gendia road even before the two were declared non-performing and the contract terminated.
4. The county paid Sh5.7 million for the maintenance of two roads for work that was never done.
5. The County paid Sh4.9 million for VIP toilets and changing rooms at the Homa Bay Stadium whose construction hadn’t even started, six months after its supposed completion date.
6. The County couldn’t account for Sh342.8 million that was used in the purchase of goods and services.
7. The county used Sh.26.4million to fence county commissioner’s compound.
8. The County budget allocated the Ministry of Education Sh115,223,536 for development but only Sh46,843,600 was paid out. The rest couldn’t be accounted for.