By Gordon Opiyo
Understanding the Kenya Power Token Scandal.
1) Kenya Power has 6 million Electricity Accounts. Of these 3 million are prepaid and active. About 1 million are prepaid and inactive.
2) Kenya Power has a mobile platform that allows for mobile payment 888880 . However the same service is outsourced to a private mobile payment platform. The platform charges 20 shillings per transaction worth 200 Bob.
3) Assuming each of the 3 million customers buy Tokens 4 times on average every month, the total cost is 80 shillings per customer.
4) So, if the KPC 888880 mobile platform fails, all the 3 million customers will pay the private service provider sh 240 million per month.
5) Per year, the clean profit will be 2.8 billion shillings.
Just don’t assume that Kenya Power cannot fix its system. Don’t be surprised to find out that the owners of private mobile payment platform are top Kenya Power officials. Who wouldn’t mind reaping a clean 2.8 billion per year for simply doing nothing apart from checking your phone balance?